Sunday, January 16, 2011

SAN ANTONIO, TX, FT. STOCKTON, TX and VAN HORN, TX.

I know in an earlier blog that I said I would not complain about the weather.  We hoped to see so many sites in San Antonio that it is famous for.  Andrea and I ventured out to the Alamo and though it is steep in history it was not what I expected.  Perhaps it is because it is so built up around it and the big gift shop right in the middle of it kind of takes away from the image I had in my mind.  River Walk is very impressive, but because of the cold there were very few people out enjoying it.  We had lunch, and then walked along the river.  You have to appreciate what went into planning it many years ago.  After 3 days of nothing but very cold temperatures in San Antonio we left in pursuit of warmer temperatures.

After San Antonio we stopped in Ft. Stockton to rest for the night.  There is not very much going in this little town along I-10.  Many years ago (1990), my brother-in-law Mike, and I stopped there on our way back to Florida from California.  The Pizza Hut restaurant that he and I stopped at is still there.  Believe me it is not much to speak about.

We left Ft. Stockton on Thursday and arrived in Van Horn again just for the night.  We needed to just chill (pardon the pun) a little so we could walk and stretch our joints.  The temperature was not bad (mid 50's).  The camp ground was pretty empty (4 other RV's).  It was really a nice place.

On Saturday we arrived in Deming, NM.  Our initial plan was to stay here for one day.  We like the RV park here and have decided to spend a few days here.  The weather is really great.  Yesterday it was in the 60's during the day.  We were surprised how cold it got last night.  The temp dropped to 29 and the water hose froze.  Fortunately the water tank on board did not freeze so we were able to use the water pump on board.  Tonight I will disconnect the water hose from the coach to avoid this from happening again.

Today we plan on going to a museum here in Deming that we were told was really first class, and tomorrow we plan on going to some Gila cave dwellings near Silver Springs which is about an hour away from here.  The apartment caves were abandoned hundreds of years ago.  It should be interesting to see.  More later.

Miles of smiles,
Charlie, Andrea, and Angel







2 comments:

ROYBLOOMQUIST said...

I think the only way to get out of the cold is to drive to Puerto Rico ha ha

Dian/MOM/Aunt Di/Farmor said...

Speaking of weather, we are finally getting the much needed rain here at The V. Enough to cancel my golfing with the ladies...BOO! Temps are warming, but primarily in the 60's this week. So no swimming yet. We just got back from our cruise with 32 other Villagers to the Bahamas. Great time, great weather,but great to be home! As always, we miss you 2 1/2! Scratches for Angel!